"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Saturday, November 21, 2009

November 26, 2008

On this Thanksgiving eve, I wanted to tell you that I am very thankful to all of you, for your love and prayers, for valuing your relationship with Russ and me, and for being hopeful that miracles do happen.

Last month Russ, Christopher and I celebrated Russ' 50th birthday in Las Vegas... I had planned the trip as a suprise, and arranged a few activities I thought Russ would enjoy - we saw Blue Man Group, had Russ' birthday dinner at the Delmonico steak house, and Russ spent some time as "Dolphin Trainer for a Day" at the Secret Garden/Dolphin Habitat at the Mirage. He was skeptical at first, and he was horrified at having to wear a wetsuit ("Look how fat I look!!.. don't ever show these pictures to ANYONE!").. but I think when it was all said and done he enjoyed the experience.

As far as Russ' condition it is pretty much the same; he is still in a coma, his numbers go up and down (right now they are lower so that's good), the doctors are in the process of giving him an EEG (brain waves test) although they simply expect the results to support what they see Russ physically doing or not doing.. it's clear the recovery period will be a long one, so I am content with the days passing without any huge swings in either direction (although sitting up and saying "hi" would be GREAT!) because one of those days will mark the end of the weeks and weeks we must patiently wait through to get the prize - Russ completely recovered and returning home to us to resume our happy life.

I also heard from the insurance company, Russ' bike was totaled, so they are handling all of that for me - I'm sure that's one of the first things he will ask about when he wakes up. :-)

At his friend Louie's service on Monday I was reminded of the importance of family, and taking time out of our busy lives to be with the people we love... so my wish for you all is to have a wonderful Thanksgiving with the people YOU love, and remember that now is the time for that visit, that phone call, that repairing of a damaged relationship. Right now. Go!!

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment