"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Tuesday, November 17, 2009

November 17, 2008

I hate to share this news via email, but I hope you will forgive me.

I wanted to let you know that Russ was in a pretty serious motorcycle accident last night, coming home from a ride with a group that included his friend Louie. I don't know the details yet as I have not made it over to the Orange Police Department to see the report, but it seems that Russ and Louie (who I believe were on their way home judging from the location of the accident) "bumped" into each other; Russ went off into a ditch... Louie went down also, and was subsequently run over by a car and killed. Russ was barely breathing when paramedics arrived and is in the ICU department in critical condition at Western Medical Center in Santa Ana. He is currently being monitored by the doctors and nurses; I don't want to get into all the details here, but he is being sedated (therefore not conscious) and the message from the doctors is that it's "life-or-death" in these next few days as he is suffering from brain swelling amongst other things. All the damage is from the neck up, pretty much (in the worst possible of places).

I am on my way back to the hospital this morning; he is scheduled for a CT scan and I should be able to speak to the neurologist to get a more definitive prognosis.

I ask for your prayers in the meantime, and if anyone wants to get ahold of me my cell is on - but if it's for an update please wait a few hours.

* * * * * * * * * *

First, I want to tell you how much it means to me to have all of your thoughts and prayers for Russ. I am happy to report he is doing incrementally better today than yesterday, which makes me feel hopeful as the first 72 hours following the accident are the most critical (in cases of head trauma).

Russ is in a coma, AND he is being sedated. This is because he needs to be the most relaxed/least stressed as possible to recuperate, and apparently a coma by itself isn't relaxed enough. The nurses have also told me that visitors (I have not restricted anyone from visiting), especially at this "acute" stage, must not over-stimulate Russ as it will impede his recovery. Once he gets some improvements under his belt, visitors will be better for him, so please know that your thoughts and prayers are truly the best way you can help him right now.

Here's the update to my info: As far as the accident, Russ and Louie were on their way home from a day long ride, their last stop was Cook's Corner, a biker bar (Santiago Canyon area) - this was typical for their rides, and they've been on several. It seems that at the bottom of the windy canyon road, Russ lost control of his bike and went off into the ditch. Louie, seeing Russ lose control, laid his bike down and started to walk over to see if he was okay. As Louie was walking over, a car struck and killed him.

The paramedics reporting to the scene got to Russ who was barely breathing, tubed him for oxygen, and transported him to Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, where he was stabilized and has been in ICU since last night. He has 15 broken ribs, a broken back, some broken bones in his neck, some cracks on his head. He was moving his arms and legs earlier today (reflex movements) so it doesn't appear he is paralyzed. The most trauma is from the neck up. He does show bleeding in his brain, and particularly his brain stem, which controls automatic bodily functions (i.e. breathing), but we won't know the extent of that until much later. Right now the ICU is trying to manage the brain swelling and pressure, and his body is overly acidic (most likely in response to the shock of the accident) - other possible causes of the acid would be internal bleeding or a bruised heart, and both of those scans came back clean. He is on breathing apparatus, but he is capable of breathing on his own; the apparatus is there to support his breathing. He did aspirate some fluid into his lungs, which is being monitored as this can cause pneumonia; so far he does NOT have pneumonia but if it should develop the ICU will address it at that time (they just wanted to keep me informed of the possibilities).

I was at the hospital most of the day, and I have to say the nurses are very attentive and the doctors answer all of my questions with the utmost patience and sympathy, so I am thankful for that. I have heard from more than one person that this is a very good medical facility for Russ to be taken care of at, and that gives me comfort along with everything else.

Several of you have been offering any help I may need, and at this time it is most helpful that you help me to keep everyone informed on Russ' progress. Please rest assured I don't have any problems asking for help, and I won't try to be a martyr... right now though I want to think positive because I really think that doing so - along with hundreds of prayers - does make all the difference.

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment