"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"Pure Reflection" by David Harris: CD Review

“Pure Reflection” produced and arranged by David Harris, manages to exceed his first solo effort, "Selah," by marrying the complementary, musically creative ability of guitarist Chris Pinnick to his own fantastically interpretive expression on keyboards. “Pure Reflection,” like its predecessor before it, is a compilation of standard spiritual pieces, familiar repertoire to David’s fans. Each of the eleven tracks evokes a comfortable recognition of David’s gift for story-telling through sound – the song might be familiar, but it is the delivery that touches to heart and mind of the listener; akin to a whisper, or lover’s caress.

Listening to this music penetrates deep into my subconscious. The use of dynamics reminds me of the ebb and flow of the ocean, and at alternate times when the music crescendos, I notice my breathing quickens and my senses are locked into the next crashing wave – both the keyboard and guitar following distinct melodic paths that intertwine and cross over each other, yet at the same time offer a synchronicity which feeds my hungry ears. The mental image which forms: it’s like watching two people dance – the tango, or the Paso Doble – two individuals completely in tune with what the other is doing, completely in the moment. The musicians themselves are simply the vehicles for the music emanating, swirling and filling the horizon, as the sunrise fills the horizon with light.

My favorite track – and I love them all – is “Open the Eyes of My Heart” – using the words of an appreciative audience member at a recent poetry event: “It feels like I’ve been on a long journey.” The changing scenery brings new and amazing sights, but the listener’s connection is never broken. The track ends with David alone on keyboard, pulling a contended sigh out of me as if awakening from a lovely dream.

As a singer, listening to this music inspires me to sing; not because it requires a human voice, but because the guitar and the keyboard are each voices in their own right. In fact, the two tracks which incorporate background vocals kind of shocked me – the vocals sounded like other instruments – which demonstrates how lyrical and cohesive this music is; a credit to David as a producer as much as he and Chris are musicians and artists.

When I first got a hold of “Selah” I listened to it for at least six months. I can’t even guess how long I will be listening to “Pure Reflection.”

No comments:

Post a Comment