"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Monday, October 12, 2009

Last Birthday

We celebrated your last birthday in Las Vegas
You, me, and my son made three
Your son might also have joined us
But for a last-minute change in plans

You kept your cool as I laid out the weekend
You know what an organizational freak I am
I love being hostess
And this weekend, your birthday weekend, was special
It was the big 5-0
One of those milestones, people say

One of those birthdays you remember your whole life

To the soundtrack of the rings and dings of slot machines
We wined, we dined, we saw a show
But the best part was “Dolphin Trainer for a Day”
You made me promise that we would do it together, someday

But this day, your birthday, was special
A picture of you with that dolphin hangs on my bedroom wall
I look at it every day
And I smile at the memory of your last birthday

We celebrated your last birthday in Las Vegas
This year, I’ll celebrate alone
But I think about that last one

It’s one of those birthdays I’ll remember my whole life


Shirley D. Downie
October 7, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment