"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Saturday, September 26, 2009

Riding The Wings Of A Dragonfly

The following is a poem written for me by my good friend Ellen Johnson. Thank you, Ellen. XOXOXO


For Shirley

I meant to comfort my friend
Whose life crashed twelve months ago
On a road she never meant to take
Sabotaged without warning
Still spinning, weeping and moaning in laughter
To chase the razor sharp cuts from opening
Again
What to say to a damaged heart
Without the predictable rhythm she once shared
Out of love
The mending is methodical winding down paths
She never imagined taking
And still she finds substance in gentle touches
Healing thoughts and the occasional lasting lyric
I told her time would go by
People would forget to hold her hand, for now she must
Become a soldier of endurance
Like the rest of us
The innocence rests in a safe place carved out in careful consideration
Of losing your child
You will dance out your afflicted demons in denial
Or find brilliant words to get through another hour
Cares will crash, smiles will collide and
The luminous bereaved butterfly will appear
And you will stand on dragonfly wings
On a trip down moonlit waters
Waiting for darkened dawn
Collecting your strength
And finding deeper dimensions than you ever conceived
And you will be alive
Vibrant with vision
With appreciation on your shoulder
Experience in your eyes
And my friend will have new meaning...

September 24, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment