"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Saturday, December 3, 2011

Possession

If I were going to give you a gift...


... I would give you a song; with melancholy notes which captured all of the dreams you had that you lost, a melody that had the power to make you cry -


Or maybe, I would give you a secret; that you and I could share to the exclusion of the world, and from time to time a look would pass between us... and we would remember, and we would smile -


If I were going to give you a gift...


... I would give you a pass; so that when the world gets turned upside down as it invariably does, nothing that transpired would have negative or lasting impact, and you could walk past that piece of baggage without feeling the need to pick it up -


Or maybe, I would give you a whisper; that you could hear my voice in the darkness of your mind, when everything else is silent and you need a bit of inspiration... and you would know that I am always with you -


If I were going to give you a gift... but I don't really need to give you any thing -


Because everything I have of value already


... belongs to you.


- Shirley D. Downie
December 3, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment