"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Sunday, July 18, 2010

For Liz

I said good-bye to my friend today
I didn't want her to leave
There were stories I still wanted to share with her
She always enjoyed my stories
So I tried hard to make them exciting
Hand gestures
Changing the pitch of my voice
Crazy facial expressions
The funny ones would make her laugh

Even when my stories weren't so funny
My friend would still listen while I shared them
If I cried, she would comfort me
And give me words to soothe my battered soul
I'm trying to hear her voice in my head now
I've never felt so lost
I've never felt so full of despair
What would she tell me, if she were here?

And I realize
She wouldn't have to tell me anything in particular

Just being here would be enough.



1 comment: