"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear." - Joan Didion








Monday, October 3, 2011

Land Ho!

... and just like that, the Universe steps in and does what it does best: gives me a reason to keep fighting the good fight.

My horrific temp assignment finally ended - my boss actually called early Monday morning to tell the staffing agency that "Shirley isn't going to work out" - I was almost in tears when my staffing counselor called me later in the evening (tears of joy, my friend, tears of frigging JOY). Yea, Shirley doesn't work well in environments where you don't give a crap about helping people, about fixing obvious errors, about treating your fellow employees with respect, etc. etc. I feel a little sad for Faye; I don't know if she was made aware of the decision to end my assignment... but at the same time I remember a recent conversation with a girlfriend (during one of my tirades about this job) - it's one thing to be treated like shit; it's quite another to allow it to continue. Oh well. We all choose the life we live. I'm just happy - and relieved - that the Universe backed me up in my belief that I was meant for better things. And anything is better than what I went through the last week and a half.

So here's the beautiful part: tomorrow I begin another temp assignment. Gasp! "Oh noooooo..." you might be exclaiming right now. Haha. I interviewed for this position prior to being sent on the data entry fiasco, and really, really liked this company. For one thing, it's a media company. As a holder of a Communications degree, it's been one of my goals to get some work more in line with my degree. Makes sense since communication is one of my passions. My interview was with the boss; who worked up through the ranks, worked for another company in the same industry, then got to the point where he was ready to launch his own company. And because of his vision and business acumen, the company had thrived.

It was clear to me, through that brief conversation with him, that I could be happy at this place. The business itself is something that captures my interest, the position capitalizes on my strengths (sales & people skills), the department is newly established so there's room for my role to grow and develop. But it was also clear that this man really valued and cared about his crew - the employees - and it reflected off of the smiles on their faces, their relaxed postures, their overall friendliness - even to me, a stranger in their midst. I could feel the warmth in the environment. And I hoped and prayed that somehow, I would get the chance to go to work there.

And so... I got my chance. I start tomorrow.

Thanks, Universe... you sneaky thing! You had me worried there for a second. But you came through, as always. Maybe not on MY schedule, granted, but I DID say I needed to learn patience.

Still working on that one. Peace.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment